By Gilbert Alasa.
Barcelona forward Neymar will appear in Spain’s national court to testify in an investigation into alleged irregularities involving his transfer to Barcelona. The court ordered the Brazil captain to appear on February 2.
The court says former Barcelona president Sandro Rosell, current club chief Josep Bartomeu and Neymar’s parents, also will have to appear before a judge.
READ ALSO Messi Claims Record Fifth Ballon D’Or
The national court last year rejected Neymar’s request to throw out a probe into the irregularities.
The court is looking into a complaint made by a Brazilian investment group which claims it was financially harmed when Barcelona and Neymar, 23, allegedly withheld the real amount of the player’s transfer fee from Brazilian club Santos in 2013.
The complaint made in June by investment group DIS names Neymar, his father and Barcelona as defendants, along with Rosell and Bartomeu.
Barca at first said the transfer fee was €57.1 million but later admitted to paying out over €80m in total, with much of that sum going to companies controlled by Neymar Sr.